Thursday, 14 March 2013

Another Scottish revolution...

I'm starting a revolution. A Scottish one. I've decided that there's more than enough historical romance fiction set in Scotland and we need some contemporary fiction. Some funny, contemporary fiction. But more about that in a minute.

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Went off on my own to a hotel last week to write and scared the life out of a maid who had the audacity to knock the door while I was concentrating. I got a fright and screamed - very loudly. Security came to make sure no one was dying in the room. And to cut a long story short, I won't be wearing Cookie Monster pajamas in the afternoon anymore.

But I did get lots of work done. My latest novel is almost finished and I'm really pleased with it - which, let's face it, is always the case until you hit the editing stage and realise about 60% of what you've written is complete drivel.


Western Highlands Scotland

The new book - Lingerie Wars - is set in Scotland, which is making me nostalgic. It's been eighteen years since I lived in Scotland, yet somehow with each passing year I feel more Scottish than I did when I lived there! I used to think that all these people in Scottish societies in other countries were amusing. Once a year they would get together, dress up in tartan, eat haggis and toss cabers for the day. It seemed cute. Now, I want to be one of those people! I find myself hunting out other Scots, hoping there's a Ceilidh (that's like a group dance party, for those non-Scots who are reading this!) and dearly wishing the local shop would stock Irn Bru.

(For those who don't know, Irn Bru is considered to be Scotland's other national drink. It's a luminous orange soft drink and rumour has it that nothing, and I mean nothing, will remove an Irn Bru stain from your carpet.)


It's a strange thing being a Scot abroad. You can't hide your accent for one thing, which means everyone you meet thinks they know who you are. Strangers tell you of some Scottish ancestor, or relation, or castle they think they own. And people naturally assume that you like whisky, eat haggis for breakfast and hate the English. That's stereotyping people. Only one of those things is true. I'll let you guess which one...

Anyway, the new book is set in Scotland. It's the first in a series of books set in the same small town. The second, called Good Two Shoes, is already written as I wrote it first. I'm really not sure how these books will go down. Romance set in Scotland is very popular, but mainly the books that talk about clansmen and highland warriors from long ago. I find those books mesmerising. On the cover of each one of them is a large muscle clad man, with flowing hair and a kilt. I'm pretty sure the cover designers have never been to Scotland. We're not known for our muscle bound men! Now if it was a scrawny ginger haired guy wearing a football jersey, that would ring true. But that's not the point.


The point is, I'm starting a new wave of contemporary Scottish romantic comedy and I want you to join in! So stock up on whisky, make haggis for breakfast and start insulting the English - and by the time the books are out, you'll practically be Scottish! :)


p.s. I'm not dissing historical romance fiction set in Scotland! I happen to know that quite a lot of those books are a darn good read! :)

3 comments:

  1. crikey you have been gone a long time! Scottish people spell whisky as whisky - outsiders whang an e in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got nothing to do with being away Moo! I never could spell worth a damn! You should see my manuscripts when they come back from the proofreader. :) I think the Irish might put an e in whiskey. Now I'll have to look it up. Which I should have done before I published this post!! :)

      Delete
    2. Right - I've fixed the spelling in the post. Don't want people thinking I'm not a real Scot! :D

      Delete