Saturday, 6 April 2013

on rejection, winning awards and giving away books...

It's been a bit of a mad week. My head is still spinning. On Wednesday I got an email from a book group website saying that they didn't want to give me an author page, because my books weren't up to scratch! Then on Thursday, I got an email from the Gulf Coast chapter of The Romance Writers of America saying that I'd WON the contemporary novel category of the Silken Sands Star Award! From one extreme to another. And in case you were wondering - this is the first award I've ever won. Actually it's the first anything I've ever won, I haven't even won a raffle before this!

So how did I deal with the rejection? I whined at all my writing pals (who were lovely, thanks guys!) and got it out of my system. And how did I deal with the excitement of winning an award? I made a cup of tea! We have an advert on TV over here in New Zealand, which makes fun of Kiwis. It shows someone getting excited about having their home loan approved  - and celebrating with a cup of tea... I've only been here ten years, but already I'm part of the stereotype! Anyway, if you want to look at the award list - click here! :) Yes, it's just a list. It doesn't sing and dance, but it definitely cheered me up!

Then to round the week out, I managed to get the ebook cover for my upcoming book finished. Don't you love the tartan text? :)
to read the book blurb click the image

It shows the fantastic photography of Scottish fashion photographer Jodie Mann, and the amazing clothing of Scottish fashion design label Impractical Clothing. The back cover of the paperback, which I'll post soon, has a dress that's to die for. But I'm getting sidetracked. To celebrate getting the cover done I thought I'd forgo a cup of tea this time and run a book giveaway on Goodreads instead! (A site that does want me!) If you click here, you can go to Goodreads and enter the draw to win one of 5 paperback copies. 

Anyway, as I finish the week I can't help but wonder what's coming next? This writing business is a little bit unpredictable. Maybe I'll sell a million books over night? Yeah, right!

7 comments:

  1. Your new book sounds wonderful, Janet! And I love the cover. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bess! Have to say, I'm really excited about this one! :)

      Delete
  2. Do you know what? I'm really mad on your behalf about that online book club's response. What is WRONG with those people??
    But how wonderful to get the winning result from the competition the next day. I bet it made you feel like doing this - :P
    Hehehe.
    By the way - I simply adore your new cover. The touches of tartan are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LaVerne! I like the tartan too. The reader site thing was a bit upsetting, but I'm so over it! I have more important things to think about - like all the lovely people who do like my books and think they're okay!! It's a mad world though. Isn't it? janet

      Delete
  3. Oh when will it be released? I've been waiting what feels like aaaaages for another of your fantastic books! I need that touch of comedy in my life along with characters that you grow to love and think about long after the last page has been read. Hurry!!!!
    P.S The tartan is fantastic and I LOVE that you are showcasing other talents with your work xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tartan - and the fact that you are giving us the opportunity to see the work of other talented individuals with yours! Can't wait to read the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Moomin and my anonymous visitor! I'm really excited to be able to use the work of Jodi and Irene on my cover. They've been super generous and I hope everyone gets to see just how amazing they are. As for when the book is out - June 14th in paperback and all ebook formats. It will be available for all ebook readers (kindle, sony, kobo, apple etc) and also in paperback to order through your local book shop or buy online at Amazon. Hope that helps! janet

    ReplyDelete