Tuesday, 6 November 2012

I miss Katherine Hepburn...

I miss old romantic comedies generally! There was something magical about them. Even the names make you get all starry eyed - Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Jimmy Stewart... I realised the other day that I was trying to write books with the same feeling as the classic romantic comedies that I love. Something with the sass and swing of a Doris Day and Rock Hudson, but with the craziness of Bringing up baby with Hepburn and Grant. I mean, seriously, who wouldn't want to write Bringing up baby? It has Cary Grant as a buttoned up professor, Katherine as a wacky heiress and a leopard! If I could just figure out how to get a leopard into a book set in the 21st century, I would!

Read a fabulous book recently- writing the romantic comedy, by Billy Mernit.  He breaks down the old romance movies and goes into what made them work. It was worth reading just for the trip down memory lane! But I also found it useful as a writer. I think it's hard to write comedy, people either think you're funny or they don't, but you can learn the structures that work.

For me it all comes down to character. I ask myself, what does this character want and what can I do to stop her getting it? And then the fun begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment