Thursday, 15 November 2012

It wouldn't be a holiday without...

...a trip to the Emergency room. But more about that in a minute. Right now I'm sitting here, trying to get motivated to finish editing my latest book - The Davina Code. Don't get me wrong. It's not the book. It's me. The book is great. Buy the book. It's out the start of December - if I can get my act in gear. The problem is - I'm feeling sorry for myself. Yesterday, I had a severe allergic reaction to some miscellaneous Dutch food and ended up in the Emergency Department for the day. I'm trying to view the whole experience as fodder for another book, which no doubt it will be at some point, but right now I just want massive amounts of sympathy. So if you're out there reading this - get on with it!!

It was quite dramatic. We were driving on the motorway. My throat closed up, I lost feeling in my hands and legs, I couldn't breathe and was slipping into unconsciousness when my wonderful husband hailed a passing ambulance. I am so seriously pleased that I married a nurse! Anyway, as I said it was an allergic reaction followed by some serious hyperventilating because my throat closed up and I couldn't breathe properly. The doctor in ED told me: "you must make an effort to breathe". Honestly, if I'd had any feeling in my hands I would have hit her. Of course I was making an effort to breathe. Who the heck wouldn't?

Anyway, once the meds kicked in, I was sent to a ward for observation. It was a mixed ward and I was the youngest there by about 120 years. There were two men who took turns snoring and farting very loudly. Yep, you read that right. And a woman who insisted on talking to me in streams of Dutch. My Dutch is terrible, about the level of a five year old. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. Thankfully, it didn't take me long to figure out that all I had to say was "terrible - verschrikelijk" and "unbelievable - ongeloofelijk" at regular intervals and she was happy.

At last, they let me go home. With strict instructions to breathe (?!) and to return to the hospital if it happens again. The problem is, I really don't know what food caused the reaction. So, I think I may live on water for the rest of the trip. The good news is: I need to lose a little weight. The bad news is: just the thought of not eating makes me hyperventilate.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you have food allergies. My Sam does too, but he hasn't had an anaphylactic event since he was a baby. His allergies are nuts, dairy, gluten and eggs. What are yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah, that sounds really hard for all of you. Poor Sam. I have no idea what I'm allergic to. This is the first time this has happened. I have slight allergic reactions to some foods, but nothing like this. That's why I'm worried about eating now - I don't know what to avoid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's what you get for visting vla vla land...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'd say it's now been 5 days with WATER!! or did you give up after 5 MNUTES?

    ReplyDelete