Sunday, 23 December 2012

I'm a little behind...

I hope you read that title right. It say's I'm a little behind, not - I have a little behind. Unfortunately, at this time of year with the constant flow of chocolate, and cake, there is no way I could have a little behind. But I'm digressing even before I start this post. I'm behind with Christmas. Yet again the sucker has surprised me.

As I write this, it's Sunday. Christmas is on Tuesday and I've yet to buy a present or send a card. A friend of mine called the other day, she said - when can I come visit? I looked at the calendar and said - Come Tuesday, I don't have anything on then.... duh!


This is from a site with New Zealand Christmas songs. If you click it you can go there and listen to some!

I blame it on the weather. As happy as I am to be back in the warm and sunny New Zealand summer, I just can't get my head around it being Christmas time. We've been here ten years and every single year Christmas is a surprise to me. I can't help it. There's no snow. No dark nights. No icy wind. Nothing. It's just wrong to have Christmas now. Christmas dinner should not be a barbeque. (I know there are several million Australians who will take issue with that!)

When we first came to New Zealand my husband thought he'd enter into the spirit of a summer Christmas. For five long, long years he was in charge of Christmas dinner. He bought a barbeque. He cooked everything until it was charcoal black, pronounced it ready and made us eat it. I spent more money on antacids after Christmas day than I did on presents before it! Eventually I put my foot down and moved Christmas cooking back into the kitchen. But what do you eat? Roast potatoes and turkey in 35 degree weather? You feel like a roast turkey, you don't want to eat it. This year, I'm going for a salad buffet and knickerbocker glories for desert. My mouth is watering as I write, but it no one can convince me that's proper Christmas food!


I would start a campaign to move Christmas to the winter, but others have tried before me and failed. The kiwis like their Christmas trees warm and smelly, and they like to sing about snow while lying on the beach. I shake my head. I'm hoping that one of these days I'll get it and the summer Christmas will make complete sense to me - I mean I love everything else about New Zealand, you really can't convince me that there is a better place to live. But sun and Santa? That takes a lot of getting used to.

In the meantime - MERRY CHRISTMAS - wherever you are!
 
I hope you get to spend time with people you love and get time-out to do the things you love doing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment