Friday, 21 June 2013

I'm freezing my socks off...

Winter has hit New Zealand. Pretty much the whole of the South Island is under snow. The news is full of it. Which I can't understand. We're the nearest country to Antarctica, we get snow every year - why is this still a surprise to people?! It was the same when I lived in the south of England. Every winter British Rail would grind to a halt because - shock, horror - leaves fell on the train tracks!! And every year trains were late and cancelled, and every year a representative from British Rail would comment on the news that they had been caught unawares... I'm shaking my head here people!

This is the South Island. Pretty - but cold! It's one of the worst storms in decades...

Anyway, I live in the North Island and although most of us aren't under snow, we're still being hit by a huge storm. And it's freezing. I know, I know, I'm Scottish and should be used to the cold. I will NEVER get used to the cold!! In fact, if my husband's head didn't turn beetroot red when the temperature went over 27 degrees Celsius, I'd move to the tropics. To make matters worse, not only am I genetically incapable of dealing with the cold, I'm also genetically incapable of building a darn fire.

Okay, if I opened my front door to that, I might have called the news too!

Like most Kiwis we have a wood burning fire in our home. Unlike most Kiwis it takes me about two hours average to get a fire going. It takes my husband five minutes tops, which is hysterical to everyone who lives with me. My tiny girls stand around while I try to get the fire going, saying things like - "Papa would have done that by now?" and "You're doing this wrong, that's not how Papa does it?" - it's very helpful...

 Hubby making a fire, cat sleeping and my book ready to proof on the treadmill...
I've watched how he does it and I still can't replicate his success. It's gotten so bad, that when my husband is out for an evening and I can't get the fire going - I just give up. I end up in bed at 7pm, with my electric blanket on high, reading a book. (Oh, how I suffer!)

Anyway, as I said, it's freezing, it's pouring and the wind is howling. My four cats are asleep on the couches. My dog is under the duvet on my bed and my sheep keeps trying to sneak in the house. I can't say I blame her, woolly coat or not, I'd rather be in the house too!

Hope the weather is much better wherever you are. If you're sitting in the sun, I want to know about it - then I can live vicariously through you! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment