Sunday, 28 July 2013

the things earthquakes make you do...

Life in Kiwi Land is a little rocky. Last week we had several large earthquakes in the Cook Strait - the water between the two islands. Wellington took a bashing, but nowhere near as bad as the slamming Christchurch has been through in recent years. Still, it was enough to make everyone in the earthquake zone nervous. And it was more than enough to make me prepare a survival kit - just in case.

Here's a list of what I put in our family survival box:
  • Sleeping bags
  • candles
  • gas stove and canisters
  • can opener
  • flashlights
  • toilet paper
  • laptop
  • kindle ebook reader - fully charged
  • some paperback books
  • notebooks and pens
  • earplugs
  • reading light
  • adapter for car so I can charge everything
  • chocolate

When my husband got home from work, I proudly showed off my emergency container. After a minute patiently listening while I listed everything, my husband gutted himself laughing, which I found offensive after all my hard work. 
"Where's the emergency food?" he asked through giggles. "What's a can opener without cans? I see a stove, were you planning on eating the pets?"
"Ah..." I replied.
"Family medications?" he said. 
"Ah..." I replied, wondering how I could have missed these things.
"Passports? Birth certificates? insurance numbers?" he carried on with a grin.
"Ah..."
"Camping dishes? Or are we using leaves as plates and eating with sticks?"
I was silent.
"Water?" 
This is I had thought about.
"We have a stream," I said proudly.
He just laughed. "How about water purifying tablets?" He said when he'd calmed down. "Or food for the animals? A mobile phone? Radio? Kids toys? Change of clothes? Waterproof gear?" 
By this stage my survival kit wasn't looking too impressive. 
He ruffled my hair with a grin on his face. 
"I know you THINK it's an emergency when you're separated from your kindle," he told me, "but there's more to surviving a disaster than having a book to read."

Maybe so, but  if there's a disaster and I'm stuck camping in my garden with my kids and all of our animals - I'm going to NEED those books and earplugs! The ultimate survival of our family might depend upon it. I can totally see me snapping under the pressure. As far as I can see - chocolate and a good book are an emergency kit! 

Needless to say, we've come to a compromise. Husband is now going to pack the family kit and I'm going to pack a smaller "Janet Survival Kit" - and nobody is getting my chocolate!


So what about you? Do you have an emergency kit? Is there something you couldn't live without if everything went pear shaped? 

2 comments:

  1. Janet

    You are priceless! I was laughing as I read this. But well done you for actually thinking about an emergency kit, you're way ahead of the majority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still say chocolate and a kindle ARE an emergency kit! I can't imagine any disaster where I wouldn't need them... :D

      Delete