Wednesday, 24 June 2015

diary of a novel being written...

Day 1 - Last night I had the most amazing idea for a book. I woke my husband up with my laughing. The characters were chatting away in my head and they were hysterical. Can't wait to write it!

Day 2 - Can't remember most of the idea as I was half asleep when genius struck, but I have the gist of it. The characters are still chatting in my head, which helps. This book is going to be so much fun!

Day 10 - I have the plot and characters all worked out - I think! I wrote a detailed outline and I'm ready to start the actual writing. Can't wait.

Day 21 - Feel like I've written this already because the outline was so detailed. I'm a bit bored and worried the reader will be too.

Day 30 - Having a few plot problems and one of the characters isn't behaving the way she should. Added something else to the story and had to go back and rewrite chunks to make it work. Still going strong though.

Day 35 - The plot isn't working. There are huge holes in it and I don't know how that happened. I'm about halfway through the first draft, I've rewritten it about a million times and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever finish this book.

Day 38 - I hate my Heroine. She's insipid.

Day 40 - This book is so shallow. It needs more depth. The plot has gone to hell in a hand basket. I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it.

Day 43 - This is the most stupid idea for a book that I've ever had!! Seriously. A chimpanzee with an iPad could write a better book than this. The characters suck, the plot is ludicrous, there are holes everywhere and as fast as I patch one up another one appears. I've taken out the sub-plot because I don't think it adds anything to the story and now the book is 20,000 words shorter!! I'm actually going backwards in the writing process. At this rate all I'll have left is a title. And, FYI, the title is crap too.

Day 44 - Couldn't face the book so I spent the day 'marketing' instead. It mainly involved liking all the cat videos on Facebook.

Day 45 - Made the mistake of reading reviews for my other books. Some of them are lovely making me think that I'll never write another book as good as the ones I've written. Then I reread the bad reviews. I DO SUCK!!! Why am I even writing???? WHY??? I don't know what I'm doing. I have no qualifications in this. What's the point??

Day 58 - Need to get back to the book. I took a few days off to think about it and spent my time watching Buffy reruns and reading books by people who actually can write. I will never write as well as Kresley Cole. Is there any point writing at all when other people do it so much better?

Day 60 - Okay. My husband has told me to get out of bed and get dressed. Apparently my angst is scaring children and animals. He says I'm overreacting. He says it's ONLY A BOOK??!!! Yeah, unfortunately, he has a point. I'm awake, I'm showered and I'm going to reread what I've written to see if it's salvageable. Deep breath. I can do it!

Day 61 - Relief. It's not as bad as I feared. There are some good scenes in the book and the structure, overall, isn't bad. It's going to take a lot of work and won't be brilliant, but I'll plod on and get it finished. I can't stand the thought of it hanging there. Plus the characters are still arguing in my head and the only way to get any peace is to write their damn story!

Day 70 - Feel like I've been beaten up. Every waking minute has been spent wrestling this book into submission. I'm making slow progress, although the writing quality still needs work - I used the word 'just' 17 times in one paragraph! Will fix that on the second draft. If I ever get there.

Day 80 - FIRST DRAFT DONE!!! It still needs a lot of work, but overall it isn't bad. It won't win any prizes, but it's possible I won't die of humiliation when its published.

Day 94 - Working my way through a second draft. Laughed myself silly at one scene. That's a good sign - right?

Day 98 -  Really pleased with the hero. The sex scenes aren't too cliched, which is good and the ending is a blast. Feeling cautiously optimistic about this one. Emphasis on the cautious.

Day 110 - I have a second draft!!! Now I need a bottle of wine and a bucket of chocolate.

Day 121 - Got the final draft done. Yay me!! Sending it to my editor.

Day 129-  My editor didn't vomit when she read the book so that's good. Not many changes to make. Really excited. Hoping people enjoy it. I would enjoy reading it and that says something- right?

Day 140 - The book is off to print. I think it's best if I don't read the reviews. Not sure my heart can take it. What if people hate it? What if they think its silly or stupid? Just expressed my anxiety to hubby who informed me the world would not end if people didn't like my book. I'm toying with writing a crime novel next, just so I can off him in it every time he says something stupid.

Day 141 - Time to forget about the book. It's out of my hands. Onto the next project. Last night I had the most amazing idea for a book...

No comments:

Post a Comment