Skip to main content

What makes a true hero - Callum McKay from Rage


Rage, Benson's Boys book 3, is due for early release on the 29th of September and it's all about one of the four partners of Benson Security, Callum McKay. Callum was a hard character for me to write and doing his story justice was tough. I had many sleepless nights worrying about this man! As most of you know, Callum was an elite SAS soldier and he was injured in Afghanistan when an IED blew off both his legs. Since then, he's been trying to pretend that he's exactly the same person he was before the blast. He doesn't like people to know he has prosthetic legs and he would never admit to needing help in any situation. 

That all changed when he was with his team in Peru (Relentless, Benson's Boys Book 2). While his team were under fire, Callum lost one of his prosthetics and the other was damaged. He had to spend the rest of the mission in a wheelchair. Although that didn't slow him down in any way, it did change how he saw himself and how he felt his team saw him too. He became depressed, believing himself useless and a liability to his team.



And that's where Rage starts. At the start of the book, we discover that Callum has quit Benson Security and gone off to hide out in his grandfather's old house in nowhere Scotland. He is absolutely convinced that he's no use to anyone because he has prosthetic limbs, and although he's no longer suicidal, he's definitely against getting involved with people in any way, shape or form.

And that's where things got hard! I had to come up with a reason for Callum to deal with people again. So, I did what any evil, obsessive writer would do, I gave Callum a situation he couldn't walk away from. A situation where his overactive responsibility-gene was triggered. One that demanded he give into his core nature and behave honorably and courageously once again. And then I watched Callum show me just how amazing he is.

And that's what I want you to see too, when you read his story. I didn't want to write a book where Callum's disability was the focus of the novel. I wanted the reader, and Callum, to see the complete man and for his prosthetic limbs to become just another component of a complex package. I wanted the reader to be astonished at how competent, sexy, capable and annoyingly arrogant he could be, instead of thinking that he was doing great for someone who'd lost their legs. 

To me, Callum is incredibly attractive. He's one of those men who was born honorable. A man who helps when he sees someone in trouble. A man who is unable to stop putting himself on the line to protect the people who need it. He's every soldier who fights on our behalf. He's the firefighter who runs into the burning building when everyone else is running out. He's the cop who stands up to violence when those around him cower. He's a genuine hero. A man who isn't looking for praise, or reward, but who does what he does because it's who he is.

That's why Callum's sense of identity took a beating when he lost his legs. He was convinced that his new reality meant he couldn't do the very things that made him who he was - that he'd never run into that burning building ever again. I wanted this story to show him that he's wrong. Nothing can hold Callum back for long. We saw that in Relentless. If he can't do something one way, he finds another way. And I wanted him to realise that his bloody minded determination was a strength, not a sign that he was failure because he couldn't do what he used to do.

I hope I managed that in this story. I realise that everyone deals with disability differently, and even two people with the same disability can have a very different experience of it. I can't, and shouldn't, speak for everyone when I write. This is Callum's story and it's very particular to him. And I hope that you too can see just how amazing he truly is.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Question: Can you give us any hints about future Benson's Boys books?

Right, Amanda, you asked for it! I just hope the answer makes some sense. :) 
Next up in the Benson Security world is Elle and David. For those who don't know, Elle first met David in book two of the series, when he turned up in Peru to help them out of a sticky situation. As soon as the two of them met, sparks flew and I knew I had to get them both together for longer than a scene of two. In Relentless (book 2), David challenges Elle to find out his real identity, and who he works for, and she's been searching databases with his DNA sample ever since. But she's still no closer to an answer. Now, if you've read Rage, you'll have noticed that not only are things heating up between Elle and the mysterious David, but our Elle has a secret. Something in her past she wants to remain hidden. So, in Elle and David's book, we find out what's in Elle's past and also, we find out who David is and who he’s working for. It should be an explosive read!

After Elle, I p…

Reader Question: How do you develop your character pairings?

Hello! I asked you lot on my Facebook page what you'd like me to blog about and there were some great suggestions and quite a few questions. I'm going to try to answer one of you questions each week, until I run out! And first up is Deb, who asks:
How do you develop character pairings?
I'm taking this to mean, how do I know who will suit whom. And the answer is that I spend a whole lot of time thinking about it! When I start with a character I've already established, say in an earlier book in the series, I already know this person inside out. I know where their failings are and what they hunger for most out of life. From there, I try to think about the type of person that would fill those empty spaces for the character, while still challenging them to become a better person. A sense of belonging for all my characters is really important to me. I think, too often, as people we feel like we don't fit. I know, in my life, I've spent a lot of time feeling as though…

Throwback Thursday: seven things I never imagined saying...

Hi there! I wrote this post a couple of years ago and it still makes me laugh.
Ah, the memories... enjoy!
Yesterday, I was in the middle of telling my nine year old to get down from the top of the hedge and bring the dog with her, when I thought - this is one of those things I never imagined having to say. Which in turn reminded me of all the other sentences I never imagined saying over the years. Which led to this list! Seven things I never imagined saying:

1.  "What do you mean we crashed into an elephant? Said right after the driver of my motorized rickshaw rear-ended an elephant on the motorway outside of Delhi. My driver then ranted for half an hour about how stupid it was for elephants to be on the highway without lights!


2. "I don't need to be strip searched, the only weapons I have are the spears." This was followed closely by the line: "What the heck kind of weapon do you think I'm hiding up there?!"  I was deemed a high-jack risk on a South Ame…