Skip to main content

Reader Question: How do you choose which character in a series will get their own book?

Ooooo, this is a hard question! 

Sometimes, I know who will have their own future book before I write them as a secondary character into someone else's book. This was the case in the first three Invertary books. I knew before writing Lingerie Wars that the heroine's best friend would get her own book at some point. And she did, in Goody Two Shoes. I also knew that the Goth shop assistant in Lingerie Wars would get her own book, and she did too, in Magenta Mine.

Other times, I come up with an interesting character for the story I'm writing, and once they're on the page they become way more fascinating than I thought they would be. That happened with Isobel's sisters in Rage. Once I started to write about the different personalities of the sisters, and the dynamic within the family, I knew I wanted to tell their stories too. Hence, the upcoming Sinclair Sister Trilogy.


I guess the main reason for giving someone their own book, is that they become interesting enough for me to want to write their story. Of course, this can work the opposite way too. There have been a couple of characters I was sure would have their own books later on down the road, but once they were on the page, I lost interest in them.


And sometimes, you plan for a character to be part of the secondary plot in your book and then wish later on that they'd had a whole book to themselves. This happened to me with Grunt and Claire, in Calamity Jena. Calamity Jena is obviously about Jena and Matt, but the secondary romance (all of the Invertary books have a secondary romance!) was with Matt's sister Claire and the American bodyguard Grunt. As soon as Grunt and Claire met I knew they deserved a book of their own, but I couldn't rip them out of the story I'd put them in to. To this day, I regret not finding a way to give them their own book. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll revisit them and do a book about how they're getting on now. If nothing else, it would be fun to see how the taciturn, man-mountain, Grunt gets on as a father.

Hope that answers your question Chessela!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Question: Can you give us any hints about future Benson's Boys books?

Right, Amanda, you asked for it! I just hope the answer makes some sense. :) 
Next up in the Benson Security world is Elle and David. For those who don't know, Elle first met David in book two of the series, when he turned up in Peru to help them out of a sticky situation. As soon as the two of them met, sparks flew and I knew I had to get them both together for longer than a scene of two. In Relentless (book 2), David challenges Elle to find out his real identity, and who he works for, and she's been searching databases with his DNA sample ever since. But she's still no closer to an answer. Now, if you've read Rage, you'll have noticed that not only are things heating up between Elle and the mysterious David, but our Elle has a secret. Something in her past she wants to remain hidden. So, in Elle and David's book, we find out what's in Elle's past and also, we find out who David is and who he’s working for. It should be an explosive read!

After Elle, I p…

Reader Question: How do you develop your character pairings?

Hello! I asked you lot on my Facebook page what you'd like me to blog about and there were some great suggestions and quite a few questions. I'm going to try to answer one of you questions each week, until I run out! And first up is Deb, who asks:
How do you develop character pairings?
I'm taking this to mean, how do I know who will suit whom. And the answer is that I spend a whole lot of time thinking about it! When I start with a character I've already established, say in an earlier book in the series, I already know this person inside out. I know where their failings are and what they hunger for most out of life. From there, I try to think about the type of person that would fill those empty spaces for the character, while still challenging them to become a better person. A sense of belonging for all my characters is really important to me. I think, too often, as people we feel like we don't fit. I know, in my life, I've spent a lot of time feeling as though…

Throwback Thursday: seven things I never imagined saying...

Hi there! I wrote this post a couple of years ago and it still makes me laugh.
Ah, the memories... enjoy!
Yesterday, I was in the middle of telling my nine year old to get down from the top of the hedge and bring the dog with her, when I thought - this is one of those things I never imagined having to say. Which in turn reminded me of all the other sentences I never imagined saying over the years. Which led to this list! Seven things I never imagined saying:

1.  "What do you mean we crashed into an elephant? Said right after the driver of my motorized rickshaw rear-ended an elephant on the motorway outside of Delhi. My driver then ranted for half an hour about how stupid it was for elephants to be on the highway without lights!


2. "I don't need to be strip searched, the only weapons I have are the spears." This was followed closely by the line: "What the heck kind of weapon do you think I'm hiding up there?!"  I was deemed a high-jack risk on a South Ame…