Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday: A Rant About Sleep Deprivation


I wrote this post a couple of years ago, when everything around me was getting between me and my sleep. All I can say is that nothing has changed. In fact, my books probably make a whole lot more sense now that you know I'm seriously sleep deprived! Anyway, enjoy this week's trip down memory lane. :)

A Rant About Sleep Deprivation


I’m in a mood. I can’t get any sleep and I’m like the Cranky Bear in the book. Yes, I’m referencing a kid's book. That’s how cranky I am. It's winter. I should be allowed to hibernate. At the very least I should be allowed to sleep!!!! This is the night I’ve just had:

10.30 pm. I try to go to sleep. Husband's snoring sounds like a freaking fog horn. I try waking him by poking him in the side, tugging his duvet off him, coughing loudly and eventually get through to him by lobbing a pillow at his head.

11.15 pm. My shy cat, Peanut, wakes me up. She's sitting on my shoulder, giving my ear a wash. Get up. Wash ear. Turf cat out of room.

11.45 pm. The dog is barking outside. I get up, drag on my gumboots and coat to investigate. The dog has taken offense to a possum in the grapefruit tree. The possum barks at me. The dog barks at the possum. I take the dog in the house and lock it in the laundry.

12.35 pm. I wake up to shouting. I rush into my five year old’s room. She’s put the light on and is standing in the middle of her room shouting at the ceiling. Apparently there’s something in the attic that’s scraping around and the noise is annoying her. I listen for the noise, half thinking she’s been dreaming. Yes, there’s a noise. No, I’m not going to crawl into the attic in the middle of the night to see what’s making it. It takes a while but I eventually get my irate girl back to bed.

1.25 am. Just get to sleep, again, when there is howling in the kitchen. Charlie cat has brought in a mouse that’s now hiding behind the cooker. I throw Charlie in the laundry with the dog and shut the kitchen door. I don’t give a crap if the mouse eats its way through the pantry, I need to sleep.

2.05 am. Five year old shouting at the ceiling again. Have explained, at length, that she needs to stop doing that.

3 am. Husband is snoring. I’m visualizing ways to shut him up that will involve a lengthy prison stay if I go through with them.

3.15 am. Phone rings. Hubby’s work has called him by accident. Seriously!!!! The nurse manager on call says: “don’t worry, go back to sleep.” I WOULD IF I COULD!

4.20 am. The cat and dog are fighting in the laundry. I’ve lost the will to live.

5 am. My five year old wakes me up to tell me she’s solved the problem with the noise in the attic—she’s wearing earmuffs.

6 am. Husband gets up. HE’S well rested. He wakes me up to give me a morning kiss. I think I hate him.

7.20 am. My five year old wakes me. She wants me to braid her hair. I want to feed her the hairbrush.

8.30 am. Hubby trying to get the kids out of the door for school. They all shout, repeatedly, outside my bedroom door. It goes like this:
Hubby: Get your shoes on.
5 year old: I don’t know where they are.
Hubby: How can you lose your shoes?
5 year old: I think the goat took them.
Hubby: Well wear your gumboots.
5 year old: There’s a mouse in them…
I put my head under the pillow and scream. Loudly. No one seems to notice.

8.40 am. They leave. They also don’t bother to shut the front door. The neighbor's dog comes in and jumps on the bed beside me. I’m past caring. Let it jump. It eventually gets fed up and goes to find our dog. I drag myself out of bed to close the front door.

9.05 am. Hubby comes home from the school run. He wakes me to tell me I can sleep.

I have now given up and I’m sitting her writing this while my eyes feel like they’ve been taken out and rolled in sand. The dog and Charlie cat are curled up around each other sound asleep. Hubby is in the attic hunting down the monster that’s making my daughter grumpy. I’ve told him that all creatures must be out of the attic by bedtime or I won’t be responsible for my actions. And as soon as I finish this, I need to go find the mouse that’s loose in the house. The animals have lost interest in it, so that leaves me to get the thing out of here.

If I’m lucky, I might get a nap later. With the mood I’m in, people better seriously hope I’m lucky!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Question: Can you give us any hints about future Benson's Boys books?

Right, Amanda, you asked for it! I just hope the answer makes some sense. :) 
Next up in the Benson Security world is Elle and David. For those who don't know, Elle first met David in book two of the series, when he turned up in Peru to help them out of a sticky situation. As soon as the two of them met, sparks flew and I knew I had to get them both together for longer than a scene of two. In Relentless (book 2), David challenges Elle to find out his real identity, and who he works for, and she's been searching databases with his DNA sample ever since. But she's still no closer to an answer. Now, if you've read Rage, you'll have noticed that not only are things heating up between Elle and the mysterious David, but our Elle has a secret. Something in her past she wants to remain hidden. So, in Elle and David's book, we find out what's in Elle's past and also, we find out who David is and who he’s working for. It should be an explosive read!

After Elle, I p…

Reader Question: How do you develop your character pairings?

Hello! I asked you lot on my Facebook page what you'd like me to blog about and there were some great suggestions and quite a few questions. I'm going to try to answer one of you questions each week, until I run out! And first up is Deb, who asks:
How do you develop character pairings?
I'm taking this to mean, how do I know who will suit whom. And the answer is that I spend a whole lot of time thinking about it! When I start with a character I've already established, say in an earlier book in the series, I already know this person inside out. I know where their failings are and what they hunger for most out of life. From there, I try to think about the type of person that would fill those empty spaces for the character, while still challenging them to become a better person. A sense of belonging for all my characters is really important to me. I think, too often, as people we feel like we don't fit. I know, in my life, I've spent a lot of time feeling as though…

Throwback Thursday: seven things I never imagined saying...

Hi there! I wrote this post a couple of years ago and it still makes me laugh.
Ah, the memories... enjoy!
Yesterday, I was in the middle of telling my nine year old to get down from the top of the hedge and bring the dog with her, when I thought - this is one of those things I never imagined having to say. Which in turn reminded me of all the other sentences I never imagined saying over the years. Which led to this list! Seven things I never imagined saying:

1.  "What do you mean we crashed into an elephant? Said right after the driver of my motorized rickshaw rear-ended an elephant on the motorway outside of Delhi. My driver then ranted for half an hour about how stupid it was for elephants to be on the highway without lights!


2. "I don't need to be strip searched, the only weapons I have are the spears." This was followed closely by the line: "What the heck kind of weapon do you think I'm hiding up there?!"  I was deemed a high-jack risk on a South Ame…